Finally it’s rhubarb season and luckily my boss’s father bring to the hotel
some huge homegrown rhubarb and I they gave me 3 to take home . Because I am such a rhubarb lover I made 3 recipes from this fruit that I upload this week end. I decided to make this pie lattice style. Often in Americans movies or cartoon you see a nice warm lattice pie chilling at the window and it always looked so yummy and always wanted to bake one so I took the opportunity. Of course you can replace change the fruit combination by using pears, blueberries , strawberries and many more.
Makes an eight portion pie:
* 1 roll of shortcrust pastry or 350 grs of homemade one.
*400 grs of rhubarb ( one and half large rhubarb) peeled and sliced 1 cm thick
* 5 apples peeled , quartered and slice 1 cm thick
* 150 grs of sugar
*40 grs of butter
*3 tbsp of corn flour .
1. If you make the pastry from scratch , make it and keep in the fridge until needed .
2. In a mixing bowl , add the fruits , sugar , corn flour, mix well and reserve aside for 10 minutes.
3. In a seven inch pie tin , line the pastry while keeping the trimmings for later.
4. Add the fruit to the pastry, and crumb the butter over the fruit.
5. Roll the leftover pastry and cut in 10 stripes. Arrange 5 strips across pie. Form lattice by arranging 5 strips diagonally across first strips. Gently press the ends into crust edges. Brush lattice with egg wash and sprinkle with some sugar. 6.Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit) for 20 min and then reduce the temperature to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) for 30 min.
7.Once cooked let the pie chill for at least 4 hours so the juices and starch can set.