When I first took my fiancée to France , she discovered all the lovely French ” patisseries” and instantly fell in love with flan patissier . To the people who doesn’t know what is a flan , basically is is like a custard pie often served in shortcrust pastry and served cold. For this post I didn’t have much time so I improvised by cooking the flan in ramequines and cooking it in the Bain Marie cooking technique. Some people add some prunes to the mix and it is very nice but we like it plain in home .
* 1/2 litre of milk
* 2 eggs
* 75 grs of sugar
* 45 grs of corn flour
* 1 vanilla pod
1. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees celsius
2. In a pot bring the milk with the split vanilla pod to boil.
3. Meanwhile whisk the eggs, with the sugar and corn flour for 2-3 min until the colour become paler .
4. Once the milk is boiled add half to the egg mixture , mix well and pour back to the pot.
5. Cook on low heat for 2 min while keep stirring until it become thicker .
6. Pour in the ramequins and put them in a deep ovenproof dish like a lasagna dish for example .
7. Add water to the dish until the water cover half of the ramequins and put in the oven for 20 min or until the flan start to colour. Chill and eat cold