Rillettes is the easiest way to use leftover fish and it is so tasty. It can also be a great help if unexpected guests come to your door it can be serve as an appetiser or as a starter . If you have a piece of cooked salmon in your fridge or even a few slices of smoked salmon , just mash it with a fork and add the ingredients from the recipe and you got yourself a fresh tasting dish that your guests will love . Other fish can be used such as maquerels , kipper or haddock, smoked or raw.
For my recipe I use a mix of both smoked and raw salmon and I served it with some Irish wheaten bread but it is very good on toast or baguette. This is a dish I used at work with leftovers poached salmon and it was a hit so hopefully you will like it too.
*100 grs of raw salmon
*200 grs of smoked salmon
* 1 and 1/2 tbsp of chopped chives
* 1 finely chopped shallot
* 2 tsp of lemon juice
* 40 grs of creme fraiche ( or low fat soft cheese for a healthy version)
1. In a pot of boiling water poach the raw salmon with half of the smoked salmon.
2. In the meantime , dice in small cubes the other half of the smoked salmon .
3. Once the salmon is cooked, drain and chill .
4. In a mixing bowl , mix all the ingredients with the cooked salmon using a fork and do not hesitate to leave some chunk of fish for a nice texture.